Amazon has undercut tablet prices with a new 7-inch Kindle Fire model for under $50.
The new Fire tablet has a quad-core processor, 7-inch IPS display, front and rear-facing cameras and up to 128Gb of expandable storage for just $49.99.
The tablet runs on Fire OS 5 Bellini and features an updated user interface with hundreds of new features and platform enhancements, including Amazon Underground with unlimited access to over $10,000 worth of paid apps and games.
Customers can also get a 6-pack of the new Fires for the price of 5 — $249.95. That should solve some Christmas presents. The Fire 6-pack price is half the price of one iPad Air, which starts at $499. To get the six-pack special price, you should apply the code FIRE6PACK when you’re checking out at Amazon.
The Amazon pricing isn’t quite so good for UK customers as the new Fire just removes the dollar sign and replaces it with a sterling sign at £49.99 rather than using the current exchange rate which would price it around £35.
Here’s a rundown of the new Fire specifications as claimed by Amazon:
- Unlike other low-cost tablets that use TN displays, Fire’s 7” IPS display offers a great viewing experience with vivid and accurate color reproduction that can be seen at all angles.
- Quad-core 1.3 GHz processor — 2x more processing power than Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite at less than half the price, quickly and easily switch between apps, stream movies, and browse the web without waiting for your tablet to catch up.
- Durability — in tumble tests, the Fire is almost 2x more durable than the latest-generation iPad Air.
- Front and rear-facing cameras.
- Up to 128Gb of expandable storage via microSD.
- All-day battery life — delivers up to 7 hours of reading, browsing the web, listening to music, and watching video.
- Fire OS 5 Bellini includes an updated user interface that replicates the look and feel of a magazine, making browsing and searching for your content easier than ever.
- Amazon Underground — over $10,000-worth of, games and in-app items are free, including extra lives, unlocked levels, unlimited add-on packs, and more.
Amazon has also added the new Fire HD 8 (8-inch display) and Fire HD 10 (10.1-inch display), Fire Kids Edition tablet, and the all-new Amazon Fire TV. The Fire HD8 starts at $149 while the HD10 is $229. UK prices are set at a fairer rate of exchange at £129 for the HD8 and £169 for the HD10.