BookBub isn’t the only game in town when it comes to ebook promotion sites as Written Word Media has been growing fast over the past couple of years and now has four sites with a total of more than 700,000 subscribers and heading towards the million mark.
Two years ago, Freebooksy and Bargain Booksy were the company’s only sites and they had a total of 200,000 readers between them. Now (May 2017) Written Word Media has over 700,000 readers signed up to get emails from four ebook promotion websites:
- Bargain Booksy
- Red Feather Romance
The company says tens of thousands of readers are added to its lists every month and it has active, engaged readers:
- On average, a Written Word Media reader reads nine books per month — that’s more than two books a week.
- 22% of its readers are active reviewers who “always” or “often” review the books they read.
- 80% of its readers live in the US, followed by Canada (4%) and the UK (4%).
- The majority of its readers use the newsletters they receive from Written Word Media as their primary source for picking their next read.
A closer look at the specific audiences reveals:
Freebooksy is a website dedicated to finding free ebooks for readers. The genres covered are: Thriller, Cozy Mystery, Mystery, Romantic Suspense, Steamy Contemporary Romance, Sweet Contemporary Romance, Paranormal Romance, Historical Romance, Erotic Romance, Fantasy / Paranormal, Science Fiction, Horror, Cookbooks & Nutrition, Self-Help & How-To, General Nonfiction, Young Adult, Literary Fiction, Children, Religion / Spirituality, Erotica, Travel / Adventure.
The total Freebooksy list now stands at 320,000 subscribers. Over the past year, over 10,000 new subscribers have been added to this list every month.
- The biggest lists are in popular fiction categories:
— Mystery (208k)
— Thriller (192k),
— Cozy Mystery (180k)
— Romance (158k-177k)
— Fantasy (135k).
- 62% of Freebooksy readers buy books every month in addition to reading the titles they download for free.
- The Freebooksy subscriber email open rate is more than double the industry average and the click rate is seven times higher than the industry average.
- The vast majority (72%) of Freebooksy subscribers use Freebooksy to find their next read.
Advertising rates: it would cost $85 to promote a free book in the Thriller category to a list of 192,400. It would be $100 for an email shot to a list of 177,000 on the Romantic Suspense list.
There isn’t a minimum review requirement but there is an editorial review process. Books must be free for everyone in the US for the entire date the promo is running and be over 50 pages long.
Bargain Booksy is a website dedicated to finding discounted ebooks for readers. The genres covered are: Thriller, Cozy Mystery, Mystery, Romantic Suspense, Steamy Contemporary Romance, Sweet Contemporary Romance, Paranormal Romance, Historical Romance, Erotic Romance, Fantasy / Paranormal, Science Fiction, Horror, Cookbooks & Nutrition, Self-Help & How-To, General Nonfiction, Young Adult, Literary Fiction, Children, Religion / Spirituality, Erotica, Travel / Adventure.
- Bargain Booksy now has a total list of subscribers standing at 245,000.
- Bargain Booksy readers are most likely to buy a book priced at $2.99 and below, with titles priced at $0.99 being stand-out favorites.
- 21% of Bargain Booksy readers are also subscribed to Kindle Unlimited, so you can expect to see an uptick in your your KENP pages read when you run a promotion.
- 64% of Bargain Booksy readers primarily read on a Kindle or use the Kindle App while 8% are iBooks customers.
Advertising rates: $50 for a promo to a Thriller list of 143,000, $70 for Romantic Suspense (132,200 subscribers). There isn’t a minimum review requirement but there is an editorial review process. Books must be priced between $0.99-$5.00 and be over 50 pages long.
Red Feather Romance covers Romance, Erotica and Erotic Romance. It is largely a female audience that focuses on the spicier side of life. These are avid readers, consuming multiple books per month in an almost exclusively ebook format.
- Red Feather Romance is growing fast and now has total list of 90,000 subscribers, having almost doubled the list in the past six months.
- 28% of Red Feather Romance readers are enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. 80% of the readers who are enrolled in Kindle Unlimited also pay to buybooks not available within KU.
- Red Feather Romance subscribers are voracious readers, with almost half (48%) reading over 10 books per month. Almost a quarter of subscribers read more than 20 books per month!
- These readers are die-hard fans of the steamy contemporary romance genre. For some of these readers, the more taboo, dark, or risque the story, the better.
- Red Feather Romance readers are active — more than a third of these subscribers will review a book often or very often.
Advertising rates: $125 for a free book, $80 for a book priced $0.99-$1.99, $100 for books priced at $2.99 or above.
Books need to have 3.5 stars or 4.5 star ratings to be eligible for Red Feather Romance deals according to which day of the week the promotion goes out. Books on Monday emails require at least 50 reviews of 4.5 stars or higher.
New In Books targets high-end readers who buy full price books and read paperback or hardcover in addition to ebooks. The genres covered are: Biography & Memoir, Literary Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Thriller, Young Adult.
- The NewInBooks list stands at 80,000 total subscribers.
- The most popular genres on NewInBooks are Mystery/Thriller and Literary Fiction.
- 48% of NewInBooks readers read primarily ebooks, while 46% of readers prefer to read physical books.
- NewInBooks readers are less price-sensitive and are just as likely to buy a full-priced book as they are a $0.99 title.
- NewInBooks readers are active on Goodreads, with 54% logging into the site at least once a week.
Advertising rates: $499 for a book launch package which includes:
- Placement of your book in aweekly email to over 75,000 readers
- Your book featured in a weekly round-up of new releases
- A custom-written Book Recommendation List that includes your title
- Dedicated promotion on all social channels, Facebook (37k fans), Instagram (12k fans) and Twitter (2k followers)
- An author interview on newinbooks.com with links to buy your new book
- A detailed report summarising all your promotional activity and audience engagement
Your book must have been published within the last 12 months of your selected feature date and will go through an editorial review process.
So there’s something for every self-published author at the Written Word but don’t forget other excellent ebook promo sites.
To be eligible for a Fussy Librarian promo, a book must have at least 10 reviews and a 4.0 rating on Amazon, 11 to 19 reviews and a 4.0 rating, or 20 reviews and a 3.5 rating. Reviews can be total reviews split between Amazon’s various stores — such as 10 in the US and and 10 in the UK. Reviews must be from Amazon. The book must also be priced at $5.99 or less on the day of the promotion.
However, if you’ve got a new release to promote then TFL will accept it for a promo if you have a previously published book with at least 10 Kindle or 10 Nook reviews and a 4-star average.
The advertising prices are very reasonable with an email to the Thriller list of 87,154 costing $18 or a promotion to the Romance-Suspense list (80,784) also at $18.
You can see the full advertising price list at The Fussy Librarian.
Another great ebook promotion site to note is BookGorilla which has around 350,000 subscribers. About half of those are signed up for the Mystery & Thrillers category while a third are looking for books in the Romance categories.
The site also covers a wide variety of other fiction and non-fiction genres.
The cost for a Thriller or Romance promotion is $50 for a book priced free to $0.99, $100 for books priced $1.00-$2.99 and $200 for books at over $2.99.
Criteria for inclusion include at least five reviews on the US Kindle store page and no less than a 4-star rating, although new released by an author with a track record of highly rated titles will be considered.
BookGorilla is popular so you need to plan ahead. At present the availability for paid promotional spots is from June 22.
When the late lamented Pixel of Ink shut up shop in June 2016, it looked like there would be a shake-out among the ebook promotion sites which were hit hard by changes to Amazon’s Associates scheme. But it seems that far from dying out promo sites are thriving with demand booming from ebook readers looking for bargains and curation.